Max Verstappen sticks by his criticism of the new Formula 1 cars even a week later. The Dutchman was in the spotlight last week for his remarks about the 2026 challengers, which he labelled ‘Formula E on steroids’. A week on, he has a suggestion for the FIA to improve Formula 1: ‘Don’t increase the battery, scrap it instead and focus on a proper engine’.
Max Verstappen was last week in Bahrain the subject of conversation after his criticism of the new Formula 1 cars. The Dutchman said he could not get any driving pleasure from the 2026 challengers, and even compared the brand-new cars to Formula E. A week later the world champion elaborated on his comments.
During a press moment on the Wednesday of the second test week in Bahrain, Verstappen stressed that he prefers to keep the two series — Formula 1 and Formula E — separate. “I mean, it’s not about the drivers, because there are a lot of good drivers who could really perform here, but I don’t want us to get too close to Formula E,” the world champion explained. “I want us to stay away from that and remain Formula 1. Don’t increase the battery, scrap it instead and focus on a proper engine, and let Formula E be Formula E, because that’s what it’s about for them.”
Freedom of expression
The Red Bull driver was then asked whether he’d received any criticism from F1 or the FIA over his comments a week earlier. “I’m just sharing my opinion, we live in a free world, with freedom of expression, and that’s how I felt,” Verstappen said. “That’s how I felt, not everyone has to feel the same, but that’s how I felt, and then it doesn’t matter what people have to say about it. I was asked a question, I shared my opinion, and I think I’m allowed to do that, so it’s not about backlash or anything, I was just honest.”
F1 calendar for 2026







