Hamilton Bottas Dismiss FIA Start Concerns in Bahrain

February 18th, 2026, 3:30 PM
Hamilton Bottas Dismiss FIA Start Concerns in Bahrain
Getty Images

The FIA will test several different start procedures during the upcoming test days in Bahrain, the governing body announced on Wednesday. The FIA hopes to reassure teams — including McLaren — after they voiced concerns about possible chaos at race starts in 2026. Not every driver, however, shares the British outfit’s view. Lewis Hamilton, Valtteri Bottas and Max Verstappen said the new start procedure is ‘not that dangerous’ at all.

It was a scene the FIA would rather not have seen on the final day of the first test week in Bahrain. Several drivers carried out practice starts with the new 2026 cars, but things did not entirely to plan. Oscar Piastri, Alex Albon, Esteban Ocon and Franco Colapinto all ran into issues. The latter failed to get beyond the first corner after his practice start. Drivers later explained the problems were down to the increased complexity of the start procedure with the new F1 cars.

The FIA has therefore decided to experiment with adjusted start procedures during the second test week in Bahrain. The governing body will trial several longer start procedures to placate teams. With the data gathered it hopes to make a definitive decision on the procedure ahead of Melbourne. “During the commission meeting there were constructive discussions and proposals about the race start procedure,” the FIA said in an official statement. “As a result, during the current test in Bahrain a further evaluation will be carried out of updates to race systems and the management of the cars.”

‘Not dangerous’

McLaren had previously lobbied for a revised start procedure because of safety concerns. Lewis Hamilton did not share that view with his former team. “It’s absolutely not dangerous,” the seven-time world champion told the media in Bahrain. “I think we need to remove that connotation, because it’s simply a different, longer procedure. If you were to switch the five lights on now, we’d all still be there if the lights stayed off a little longer. But you can still pull away without the turbo kicking in. It’s just that you’ll probably use anti-stall a few times. So maybe anti-stall is something some people will use. But I don’t think it’s dangerous.”

Hamilton found an ally in former team-mate Valtteri Bottas. The Finn will make his return to Formula 1 in 2026 with Cadillac. “Honestly, I don’t think it’s more dangerous than before,” Bottas said. “The main difference is that you have to hold the revs for longer. And I think we need to come up with something for that, because my only worry is that when you’re at the back of the grid the light is already on and you don’t have enough time to get the turbo spooled up before it goes out. That’s, of course, only a problem for the drivers at the back. But aside from that I think we’ll find solutions, and I see no danger in having to hold the revs higher for longer.”

Max Verstappen also agreed with the two drivers and joked: “You can always start from the pit lane if you don’t feel safe.”

Share this on: